Thursday, December 13, 2012

Normal days, parties and birthdays

Many apologies for the lack of updates. Living in a hotel just isn't that interesting. And it's seeming like we'll be here for quite a while :( Not that there's anything particularly terrible about this hotel, but I really want to unpack, get settled, and spread out some. Having a permanent residence is also the impetus for our shipped items to leave the storage facility in Houston. Our air shipment will probably take about a month to get to us (spending several weeks going through customs here) and I'm eager to receive it. Before we left, I had high hopes of receiving it around Christmas, I had even packed our tree and some ornaments inside, but there's no way that will happen now.

We also don't have a driver, so most all of our days are spent on the hotel property. I'm starting to fall into a routine of boredom. We meet for breakfast, lunch, and dinner at set times everyday. And in between those times, life just isn't very exciting. Lots of reading, naps, National Geographic, and Internet browsing. 

This past weekend we went to the company Christmas party. We did have a lot of fun. The party was held at a compound on Banana Island. Outside. Between the hours of 2pm-11pm. There were a surprising number of organized activities at the party including, dance contests, costume contests, karaoke contests, and games where you had to catch rings around your arms. There was also a feast, lots of dancing, and prizes given out. It also happened to be my birthday - I tried my hardest to win the costume contest on this fact alone and got to the finals. But someone far more deserving than my borrowed shirt won. But it was fun to try. I'm sure that I embarrassed myself thoroughly, but there were free drinks at the party, so I'm hoping it's just a happy 5 hour haze for everyone like it is for me.
The party when we arrived. We were late. 

Kids watching the dance contest.

Us. 

Dancing. I love to see people dressed in traditional outfits. Some people mix western clothing like jeans, with more traditional tops. Some people wear all western style clothes.


Yep, it was my birthday this past Saturday. I'm 27! And, the day we arrived in Nigeria was our 2 year wedding anniversary! What a difference a year makes. A year ago, we had no idea we'd be living in a foreign country, let alone one in Africa! But that's what keeps life interesting.

The husband did find me a birthday cake and had it brought out at dinner on Sunday. It was the "Chocolate Dome" cake variety, my favorite of the desserts tried here.  It also came with a single, giant, firework as a candle. There's a picture of it somewhere that I'll have to post soon. All in all, a very memorable birthday.




No comments:

Post a Comment