Monday, December 31, 2012

Oh, the Weather Outside is Frightful

What a December!

Yes, it is winter here in Nigeria, as we are still North of the equator (barely). The humidity is 84% right now so it's pretty much like August in Louisiana. We haven't had much rain since we got here as we are heading into the dry season. I think we've had only one afternoon shower that lasted just a few minutes.

The dry season in Western Africa, called Harmattan, is when the winds come in from northeast and bring sand from the Sahara Desert.  It's supposed to be mid-November through March...but I don't think it has arrived here yet. It's supposed to be a dry, dusty heat...but so far we're still experiencing okay visibility and stifling humidity. Although it is pretty hazy outside (as evidenced by our beach pictures), I'm not sure if it's caused by pollution or the Harmattan. And I don't know if the dust has arrived yet or if it's just general griminess. But I do know that it is definitely still humid here, I think it's only been below 80% a few nights. Most of the fabrics in our hotel room are a bit moist (ewww) - the couch, the bed, our hanging clothes, things just feel a little damp. I think it's caused by the A/C running constantly combined with the wet air. But we don't really experience that back in the states, so I can't fully explain the phenomenon.

No comments:

Post a Comment